I’m so excited about this, like a new life adventure. Mike and I have always had a wonderful relationship, with the average ups and downs and hard times, but overall– we do maintain a close friendship and relationship and have never had a point where we felt like strangers or just two roommates living together. We’re very fortunate for that. When I hear women saying things like “I need to ask my husband permission” or “My husband doesn’t want me to do this/that” etc…I am SO thankful even more for the man I married. I couldn’t imagine being with someone who restricted my freedom in any way, so many people feel like marriage is a jail or a trap and they’re stuck in a rut forever and ever but no way, I felt more free marrying my man. We have a mutual love and understanding but this year something felt like it was missing a little..not BAD, but just hear me out 🙂
We talked about making sure we got date time in the beginning of the year, and originally we stuck with it! We got to go out on 1-2 dates a month just the two of us and it was so romantic. Sure, we talked about Cammy 50% of the time but not the whole time hahaha, which was progress from our dates the previous year! True story hahahah! I will NEVER forget our first date away from her after she was born. One beer later I was on the verge of tears and ready to head home………….and Mike totally was, too haaha! This year though, I got a little scheduling happy and did a lot of weekend sessions in the beginning of the year and didn’t allow any time for these dates. THEN, when I became pregnant, I got reeeeeeeeeeeeally sick. That took a lot away from our take night opportunities and that became me laying on the couch all day every day with ginger ale, ice, popsicles, etc. I could not have gone out to eat at all or done any fun dating of any kind then, lol.
Well long story short– we fell off of the dating train for a while. It became hard to find the time to get a babysitter to take care of Cammy while we went out and we got so wrapped up in the busy year that we kept putting off Mommy + Daddy date nights. I love my husband more than anything and am so grateful for his dedication to his girls, THREE of them soon. I want to give him the love and attention from me individually that he deserves and vice versa, so we decided in 2014 (and a couple times in December this year!) to start “booking” — YES, BOOKING our date nights a couple of months ahead of time! The same way I book sessions for clients, I’ll be booking Friday and occasional non-wedding Saturday nights with my man for dates!!!!! It makes me feel so young again to say that, haha, because you know..29 is old 🙂 Is it going to be sooo hard to leave that little newborn and our sweet Cammyroo? YES it always will be. We’re definitely not the “have a baby and leave the house weekly to party” kind…at ALL. Some people find relief in leaving their children and getting a break from them. It’s so far from that for us, it’s just about having an uninterrupted, adult conversation, and maybe the occasional beer or three together having fun and bonding like we deserve to 🙂
Marriage Goals for 2014 include the following:
1. Booking monthly Friday/Saturday dates out to eat, movies, parties & events, adventures! Anything we want 🙂 Sometimes we’ll decide together, sometimes one of us will pick and surprise the other person.
2. Turning the TV off at least once a week to talk when the girls are asleep, IF they are both asleep at the same time..wish us luck 🙂
3. Remembering to thank each other for things we should already be doing like dishes, laundry, etc…but taking the time to acknowledge them.
4. Double dates with friends!
5. Double family dates with friends with kids at each other’s houses or if we dare, out in public hahah!
6. Having full days on weekends where we don’t answer ANY emails and we have our phones off, unless it’s to take cute pictures of us 🙂
7. Remember to write each other love notes like we used to all the time, handwritten (Mike is better at this than me! I’ve gotten a couple this year already:))
8. Packing Mike’s lunch more – I used to LOVE doing that
9. Surprising each other with breakfast in bed or any random treat, food is the way to our hearts
10. Complimenting each other more..which is going to be hard because we both do this a lot, but it feels good hearing it even more and from the person you love. Why not 🙂
11. Having a least one drink too many occasionally because we have a lot of fun doing that together, it’s entirely TOO entertaining hahaha!
12. More movie nights together, cell phones off, in our pjs when the girls are in bed 🙂
There are many more I am sure we’ll be adding to this list, but for now- this is what we have 🙂